There are no products in your shopping cart.
| 0 Items | CHF 0.00 |
The Republic of Geneva was first proclaimed in 1541, under John Calvin, and given a constitution (Édits civils) in 1543. The French Revolution reached Geneva in 1792, and in February 1794, the Republic gave itself a new, revolutionary constitution which proclaimed the equality of all citizens. After the death of Robespierre in July of the same year, there was a counter-revolution, which gained the upper hand by 1796. Robespierre's death prompted the French invasion of 1798, and the annexation of Geneva which became the capital of the French département du Léman. The Napoleonic army left Geneva on December 30, 1813 and on the next day the return of the Republic (fr. "Restauration de la République") was proclaimed.
This independence was short-lived because the city municipal authorities very quickly recognized that Geneva could not sustain an isolated State and turned to Switzerland, its historic ally, to request their entry to the confederation. Effective 19 May 1815 following the Congress of Vienna, Geneva joined the Swiss Confederation as the 22nd canton, having been enlarged by French and Savoyard territories. As part of territorial negotiations, Geneva received 108.8 sq. km of land from the Duchy of Savoy to size up the future canton in relation to the canton of Vaud, and obtained six French municipalities as compensation for the Napoleonic occupation (Collex-Bossy, Le Grand-Saconnex, Pregny, Vernier, Meyrin and Versoix, totaling 49.3 sq. km).
In 1846, a revolution led by James Fazy overthrew the government of the Restoration and established the constitution which would remain in force until 2012, the date of the new Geneva constitution.
